Re: Blast cabinet

To: <LBC286@aol.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blast cabinet
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:04:54 -0400
I built a blasting cabinet using TP's pictures as inspiration. (I didn't buy
their plans.) It is great! Since you are not directing the blast at the
walls, the plywood is plenty sturdy. I did glue a sheet of resist (blasting
stencil - a rubber sheet about 1/8" thick) to the back of my cabinet but I
think that was not needed.

I suspect the table top size model would do most of what a home restorer
might want to tackle - brackets, bolts, etc. For really big stuff (frames) I
think it is worth the money to pay someone to do the job. Its been a few
years but a local blasting company charged me ~ $10.00 to strip wire wheels
(MG). Warning: beware that blasting can/will warp sheet metal (body panels).
Make sure you (or whomever you hire) really knows how to strip body panels.

It would seem the major advantage of the table top model is that it might be
small enough to move out of the way if space is at a premium in your shop.
If it is likely to be set up somewhat permanently on a cabinet then the only
advantage would be the drawers or shelves underneath. Seems like this would
be offset by it's smaller size. Know also that even well 'sealed' blast
cabinets will spill abrasive when the door is opened and items removed. You
would not want to have your cabinet close to an area you don't want
abrasives near - say engine assembly bench...

I can email pictures of my cabinet if anyone would like to see it. Or visit
me in Mebane, NC (about 20 miles west of Durham).
Eric