Re: appliance repair (Logic check to next step)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: appliance repair (Logic check to next step)
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:44:13 -0700
> >  Have I missed any other potentially replaceable
> > parts?
>
> Did you check the coils in the freezer for ice ?  Also, some units have a
> fan that blows over those coils, make sure the fan runs and the air flow
> isn't blocked (I once found a cardboard food wrapper caught in the fan).
>
> After that, it's time for professional help.  However, if this is an
> ordinary home refrigerator, a replacement may make more sense.  It's
> difficult to get them sealed back up after adding gas, since most home units
> don't have service ports and you have to use a saddle valve to tap into
> them.

Another reason to replace rather than add $$ into an old one: efficiency has
gone
way up in refrigerators in the past few years.  A new fridge will pay for
replacing a 10 year old fridge rather quickly.  Faster if your local utility has
a rebate program for turning in an old one for a new one.

Mark Miller