plumbing question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: plumbing question
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:05:35 -0700 (PDT)
I'm putting a sink into my "new" garage (well, it is only three years
old, but is only now getting finished). I had planned for this
by putting water supply and waste pipes into the stem wall when
the foundation was poured. Now it's time to hook them up.

Water is easy - I know where there's a cold water source nearby,
I have a 2gal heater mounted under the sink, I'm ready.

Waste is harder. The property's connection to the sewer line is very
close - I thought I would be able to "just" dig down and tap into the
line.

The main line runs at the back property line. There's a buried cleanout
in the back yard. The house is only 20' from the back property line,
and the waste exit from the garage is about 5' from the back property line.

After a bit of exploratory digging I realized a) guessing where the line
runs is a bad idea and 2) it's probably *way* deep there.

So now I'm back to the cleanout. This is a piece of 4" cast iron
pipe that angles down into the ground. I followed it about 2' down
without finding the Y junction that must be there (see (2) above).
My initial thought was that I could dig down to the
junction here to help me find the main line.

Now I'm thinking that I should just put my 1.5" line from the sink
into the cleanout pipe and call it good.

But I don't know how! It's CI pipe, but my new drain line is ABS. I've
seen some sort of clamp on coupler used for all CI systems, but I
don't know where to get them or if they're appropriate for this.

My current thinking is to cut off the cleanout pipe and connect
an ABS Y here with a rubber coupling. But I don't know if I can
bury a rubber coupling...

Help?

chris