Re: Problem with starting

To: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with starting
From: "Timothy R. Hoerning" <hoerni@cooper.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 15:27:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Mullen, Tim wrote:

> My son's '85 El Camino (5.0L V8) has a problem starting when the
> temperature
> is cold.  It smokes.  Blue clouds of oil smoke.  But if the outside
> temperature
> is 10-20 degrees warmer, no smoke, starts right up and runs great.
> Anyone
> have any ideas as to what on the engine/car that could be temperature
> dependent with the emission controls etc. that would cause it to but oil
> until
> warms up a bit?  On slightly warmer days, and after the engine has
> warmed
> up, it doesn't burn oil at all.  It's almost like a valve is only open
> below a
> certain temperature or something...

        Only thing I can think of is the PCV Valve.  Have you tried replacing
that?  I recently failed emissions inspection for visible smoke in my
commuter car ('90 Plymouth Laser).  After replacing the PCV (and adding
STP smoke treatment), it passed inspection without a problem.  Also, don't
forget to check the other end of the PCV system (I think it would be a vent
- but I'm not familiar with the stock Elky manifold - I have a TPI
conversion in main)

<snip>

        Tim

Tim Hoerning  /  hoerni@cooper.edu
'91 Honda VFR 750, '84 Honda VT500 Ascot, '73 Honda CB350G Super Sport
'87 Chevy El Camino,  '90 Plymouth Laser