Problem with starting

To: "Shop-Talk (E-mail)" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Problem with starting
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:48:01 -0400
My son's '85 El Camino (5.0L V8) has a problem starting when the
temperature
is cold.  It smokes.  Blue clouds of oil smoke.  But if the outside
temperature
is 10-20 degrees warmer, no smoke, starts right up and runs great.
Anyone
have any ideas as to what on the engine/car that could be temperature
dependent with the emission controls etc. that would cause it to but oil
until
warms up a bit?  On slightly warmer days, and after the engine has
warmed
up, it doesn't burn oil at all.  It's almost like a valve is only open
below a
certain temperature or something...

By the way, the engine has a new EGR valve and electric choke unit to
fix
other problems.

Any suggestions?  I'm stumped until I dig thru the manuals one more
time...

Tim Mullen