RE: Hydraulic Floor jack

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hydraulic Floor jack
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:40:31 -0700
> Okay I went and screwed up.

If I had a nickel for every time I've ...

> My floor jack was leaking so I sent off for a seal kit. It came
> in and I set
> up to do the rebuild. While I had carefully laid each piece out
> as it was take
> off , and even took pictures for reassembly, I then turned the
> jack over and
> three ball bearing  came out of a possible three holes . I say possible
> because one of the casters was missing a ball bearing and it
> might have been
> that one.

I'd bet on the casters.  None of my hydraulic jacks has anything resembling
a ball bearing inside of it.  However, I s'pose it _might_ be part of the
valve mechanism.  Put it back together, if it works then the ball bearing
wasn't important anyway <g>

> Also how do you bleed the air out of the jack ?

I just run them through the full stroke a few times.  A little air in the
cylinder won't really hurt anyway, it will just compress to whatever
pressure it takes to lift whatever you're jacking up.

Randall