RE: summer is coming - need shop hvac help!

To: jmark.vanscoter@amd.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: summer is coming - need shop hvac help!
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 19:12:02 -0600
Hi Mark,

I'm not sure how "well" the shop can ever be insulated.  Apparently my
post wasn't clear on how the shop is constructed.  The outside of the
shop is covered with corrugated sheetmetal.  The inside walls, instead
of having something like sheetrock have 1/2" plywood nailed up
instead.  The only way I can insulate is to have it blown in.  The costs
to do that verses buy a good used heat pump are going to be less.
Don't get me wrong, I will be insulating the shop, most likely this winter
when I hope to have the time.  If I size the heat pump for a moderately
insulated shop and have to suffer through slightly warmer temps I
would rather do that than nothing at all right now.

My major concern is that even after blowing in insulation into the walls,
how well will it work since there is nothing covering the seams of the
plywood on the walls.  I can currently think of no reasonable means of
sealing those joints.  Nailing something like screen molding over each
seam is out and the only thing I can come up with is smearing a bead
of caulk over each joint.  Not my preference either.

A window unit would be pretty much worthless since there are only 3
windows and they are on one wall.  The office which is a 12 x 12
room off the side of the main 25 x 65 area already has a small window
air conditioner.

Our shop is located in Rowlett close to lake Ray Hubbard.

Brad