Re: glass block

To: "Steve Budde" <super_racenut@juno.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: glass block
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 22:24:07 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Budde <super_racenut@juno.com>
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 3:41 PM

>I have only done one window but I used the mortar just like they
>recommended and the home center where I bought the mortar.  I never
>thought about silicone, I'd have to wonder if it would have the strength
>needed to hold the glass?

My mother-in-law had commercial units put in her basement windows.  They
consist of glass blocks with a two-block-size vent window in the middle.
They are held together with silicone.  It probably prevents any nasty
thermal-expansion disasters since it stays flexible.

The Minnesota Zoo seems to think silicone and glass is good enough to keep
the animals and people apart...

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org