Re: Brake Cleaner vs. Carb Cleaner

To: <msloane@att.net>, <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Brake Cleaner vs. Carb Cleaner
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:21:46 -0500
Further supported by the differences in their MSDS chemical properties, and
their advertised claims (carburetor cleaners tend to claim lubricating
abilities).

Mike Sloane wrote:

> According to an engineer friend whose company makes automotive products, there
> is no difference between carb and brake cleaners from the same manufacturers.

  ...I know this thread has been going on longer than
I've been reading it, but I find the above a little
hard to swallow.

  I've sprayed enough of both to see off a few species
of spotted owl, and they don't work the same at all, or
even smell the same.

  As has been mentioned before, brake cleaner smells
horrible and leaves the surface dry and greaseless, carb
cleaner smells more or less familiar and leaves the
surface slightly oiled.

  This might only be with the brands I use, but still
that's enough to question the above statement.