Re: Concrete Advice

To: "Tom Bott" <tbott1@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: Re: Concrete Advice
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 05:40:22 -0600
Well put question Tom.... and I know your basic problem well... I never seem
to have the budget to go with my tastes....

I'd rather see you add to your slab then pour over it.  There just aren't
any good ways to bond your first pour to the second pour and keep the rates
of shrinkage of the two differnt slabs constant....  I thought about how I'd
do it and I think your solution of adding to your slab really does make the
best sense so long as it's well planned in advance....  Well planned means
that you need to figure out how to connect the two before you pour the
first.... What that means is that your going to have to devise a rebar setup
in the first slab that is out of your way and underground around the first
slab.... this rebar sticks out say...8-10" or is a loop of rebar that sticks
back into the slab.... then when the second slab is poured it's connected
with the first with this and some type of metal expansion joint ( avalible
here in the states from your local concrete company )

In my shop I've to a single expansion joint dead square in the middle of it.
There has never any real issue with rolling small metal wheels over it.  My
issue has always been the dirt falling into the crack as I sweep across
it... but this isn't really a significant problem.

Keith ( http://downtown.ala.net/~kturk )