Re: Seized 02 Sensor

To: pjthomas@adelphia.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seized 02 Sensor
From: LSAPEX@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:58:06 EST
Hooker sells the O2 fittings, #10979.
You could also browse the Hardware store and find  a large nut that would
work. I've used them with success, but don't have the specs.
Or, put the O2 sensor hex in a vice, heat the fitting and use a pipe wrench
to remove.
Can you remove the pipe and bring it to a weld/machine shop. They maybe
willing to weld it off the car.

<<
 Went to the dealer to have the minivan transmission looked at.   $1600
 later I have a rebuilt tranny.  I was also informed that the O2 sensors,
 all 4, need to be replaced.  The dealer did not have the parts and said
 they could order them and pay $300 just for the parts.  I picked up some
 down the street for a lot less and replaced them myself.  The two up
 stream were no problem.  The two down stream of the two cats were stuck.
  One with a little persuasion can free, but the one inches away from the
 catalyst would not budge.  Instead the weld on the boss gave way.  It is
 a thick heavy ring and for the life of me, I cannot free it from the old
 sensor.

 Apparently, no one will weld the boss back in for fear of the EPA, if I
 could free it from the old sensor.  A new cat, actually two cats and
 piping, will cost over $1000.   Inspection shows the cats are fine
 inside.  I don't have a welder or the skills to weld it back in myself.

 I have a few thoughts,  the bailing wire approach is to use J-B Weld to
 epoxy it in but I don't think it would hold under the heat.  I also am
 leery of poisoning the cat.  I search the web all day to see if I could
 find a stainless steel blind threaded insert that would take fill the
 1-1/16" hole and take the sensor thread.  The third option is to buy an
 after market cat but for the same price I can buy a MIG.  SWMBO said "NO!".

 Any ideas?

 Peter Thomas >>

Les.
www.apexautoeng.com