A question about sealing tyre beads

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: A question about sealing tyre beads
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 21:48:41 +0000
I'd be grateful if anyone could comment on the wisdom (or otherwise) of
sealing low pressure flotation tyres to the rim with silicone caulk. Once
you have tried to get Terra tyres to seal at 10psi on less than perfect
rims the caulk becomes very attractive because it works, but I have this
nagging fear about storing up problems for the future. Not having the
confidence to try the Icelandic lighter fuel trick this method makes a good
field repair to keep a tractor working.

Are there likely to be any long term effects on the rubber?

Thanks,

Nick Brearley
A UK lurker who's been envying those lucky people on the list who need to
humidify a house in the winter, our problems are quite the reverse.