Car Trailer Stuff (winches)

To: "Shop Talk NG" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car Trailer Stuff (winches)
From: "Steve Hammatt" <GSteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:07:29 -0800
We're just finishing the construction of an aluminum
tilt-bed, double axle open car trailer.  Some of you may
recall the earlier conversations on how to remove the
old, dried-on plastic film from the aluminum surfaces.
Nothing worked except abrasive sanding.........however
I've decided to have the entire trailer bead or walnut
blasted when I'm done.  As an update, the elimination
of the metal springs was accomplished by going with
two rubber torsion spring axels, we're using all disc
brakes with an electro-hydraulic pump.  The lights have
been installed, they're the LED style from TruckLite.
I've also found a neat, clean hitch that doesn't have all
the levers, etc. that are common to most hitches.  I'm
heading to Boeing surplus today to pick up a large
aluminum composite panel to fill in the space between
the wheel runners.

HOWEVER, right now I'm very interested in
learning of experiences with a 12V winch for pulling up
cars.  The maximum vehicle weight will always be less
than 4000 lb.

Anybody want to share their knowledge as to models,
features, etc.??

Thanks.

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA