Abernathy Vise and Tool

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Abernathy Vise and Tool
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:33:50 -0500 (EST)
   I have an unimportant question, and this seems like the best place to
get it answered ;)

   When we bought this house a few years ago, it came with a workbench in
the garage that had a very old, semi-functional vise attached.  I finally
got around to removing it the other day, after getting a new one for
Christmas.

   The vise was made by the "Abernathy Vise and Tool" company of Chicago,
and frankly, is probably much older than I am.  I don't feel right
throwing it out, at least not before checking to see if it is useful or
interesting to someone.  Yes, I am a pack rat.

   The only piece of information I've found about that company is that
they were an exhibitor at the Universal Exposition in St. Louis in 1904.

   Is it junk?

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 hillman@planet-torque.com