RE: Marking ones tools

To: "Shop Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Marking ones tools
From: "Doug Armstrong" <darmstrong@ptbo.igs.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:37:14 -0500
I saw a magazine article a while back that offered a solution to this.

It was a clear liquid that is dabbed onto the items you wanted marked.  The
dry liquid is hard to remove completely and is fluorescent under a black
light   In the liquid are many thousand? minute chips with a serial number
on them that can be read with a low powered microscope.

When you buy the small bottle, you mail away the registration card which is
kept in a secure data base.  You get decals to post on your garage / tool
boxes to indicate that the tools are marked and traceable.

It sounds like a good idea and maybe someday, when the technology is more
accepted / common, the police might check for this type of marking
automatically with retrieved property.

I will forward more info to the list if I can find the article.

Doug Armstrong