Re: H78/15 tires

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: H78/15 tires
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:52:56 -0500
"Chuck Rothfuss" <crothfuss@coastalnet.com> wrote:

>   As long time Jeep Wagoneer driver ('61, '63, '74 & '86) I can tell you
> that wider isn't always better.  In Michigan snow my Dad taught me a lesson
> years ago by passing me in a snow drift with his little narrow tired six
> cylinder J10, while my cool looking fat tired Wagoneer with it's big V8 was
> struggled to climb through the white stuff. <..>

I still vividly remember watching a Southern California "Jeep Club" trying in
vain to get thru some deep snow back in the early '70s.  There big old wide
tires, even with chains, just slipped and slided on top of about two feet of
snow.
All their chrome and accessories was helping them at all...

An old man, driving an old beat up Ford 4x4 pickup came along on the mountain
road.  They just laughed at him because they just *knew* he wouldn't go far
up the road (they couldn't even get 100 feet from the end of the plowed road).
My buddies and I just laughed as the old guy (with the tall skinny tires) just
drove
past them, and keep on going, and going.  We watched him for a couple
of miles as he went back and forth on the switch backs, and up over the
mountain...   8-)

Sometimes there is justice in the world, and those guys with more money than
brains get put in their place...   8-)

Not that I don't have very large tires on my 4x4.  I just know the limitations.
By the way, we were goofing off on dirt bikes that day...

Tim Mullen

///