Re: H78/15 tires

To: "Eric Murray" <ericm@lne.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: H78/15 tires
From: "Chuck Rothfuss" <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:16:46 -0500
Eric,

   My Abbot & Hinerman text/lab manual from college gives the metric
equivelent if an H series tire as a 215.  215/80R-15 sounds about right for
a early '80s Toyota 4x4.  They always did tend to have a narrow and kinda
tall tire in stock form.
Not necessairly a bad thing, given the limited horsepower of the Toyota
engine.

   As long time Jeep Wagoneer driver ('61, '63, '74 & '86) I can tell you
that wider isn't always better.  In Michigan snow my Dad taught me a lesson
years ago by passing me in a snow drift with his little narrow tired six
cylinder J10, while my cool looking fat tired Wagoneer with it's big V8 was
struggled to climb through the white stuff.  Here on the Carolina beaches an
absolutely bald stock width tire will keep you out of trouble in the
shifting beach sand while a good all weather radial has  proven to be the
best all around (hunting/towing/beach) tire for me.  Depending on the
vehicle you might experience some unexpected handling problems if you get
too far away from the tire size the factory intended for the vehicle.  My
'86 Grand Wagoneer tried to do a Ford Explorer impersonation and roll over
with 31/10.50-15's.  Going back to the recommended size restored the
stability and made it much more comfortable to drive.

   Happy tire shopping!

Chuck Rothfuss
Pole Cat Hollow, NC