WIRE WELDER

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: WIRE WELDER
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:44:22 -0600
I agree completely with previous posters...  go with a recognized brand,
Miller, Lincoln, Hobart..  You might want to check with the local (large)
welding supply house.  They have lease/rental programs for their larger
commercial and maintenance customers.  I bought a used Hobart Handler 110
amp wire machine that was taken off lease.....for just under $300.00.
Completely reconditioned... included flowmeter and hoses for tank..  Best
money I've ever spent.

Parts are easily available and you then have a contact with a reputable
firm that can handle all your problems...  I wouldn't buy a welder from
Walmart or even Sears and expect any type of service/parts availability.
You'd have to send it off the the manuf....  and wait for ever... if it's a
toaster that's one thing... but a welder...???  I'd like someone I can hold
by the throat if I have a problem.  Another thing... you're gonna have to
buy gas  from someone...  sometimes they will cut you a better deal on tank
rental and gas cost if you buy the machine from them...

another thing...  the machines that are sold as "flux wire" machines don't
always convert to solid wire/gas machines very easily and even if they do
convert, you might not get the best results with a converted setup.  My
first Sears unit was flux wire and we (my idea... welding supply dealer did
work) tried to convert it  and it would never work quite right...buy a
solid wire/gas machine to begin with...  they will also do flux wire if you
find a need for it, but going the other way doesn't always work like you
want it to......... just things to think about

john

///