Re: MIG Welder

To: Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: MIG Welder
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@cts.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:48:04 -0800
I would strongly recommend that you look in the yellow pages under
welding equipment and supplies and go to wherever is near you.  You
will find several brands and sizes of MIG welders for sale and people
knowledgable about them.  (I can't believe that a welding supply store
would only carry Clark welders, whoever they are.  If you went to a
welding supply store and found only Clark, go to another store).  You
are going to be buying 'consumables from the welding supply store on a
regular basis (gas, wire, tips and such)  and will be doing business
with them.  Why not start with a purchase large enough that they will
remember you when you come in with a problem?  Miller and Lincoln both
make good stuff.  Some models of one brand may be better than the same
type made by the other one.  My knowledge of specifics is several
years old and I have a Hobart Handler 120.  Current "Hobart" welders,
I am told, are not of the same quality as the older ones.

Make sure that you get a real MIG welder with gas cylinder, regulator,
etc.  It is much more useful for automotive work (I see your tr6 in
your email address) than a flux core welder.  It will cost a bit more
but be worth it many times over.

-Roland

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 07:33:51 -0600, Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>