Re: Pipes for gas heater in shop?

To: "Flemming Larsen" <flarsen@earthlink.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pipes for gas heater in shop?
From: "Phil Ethier"<pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 19:15:16 GMT
>My local hardware chain advertises black iron pipe for
>use for natural gas, and galvanized pipe for use for water.
>
>Is there any reason for NOT using galvanized pipe for gas?

Yes, there is.  Do not use  galvanized pipe for gas.  The gas and the zinc
coating
do not play well together, and dangerous things can happen as a result.  I don't
recall all the details.  You local gas inspector will not pass the job if you
use galvanized.

>I know that I should probably hire a licensed professional
>to do this, but I only need to add about 5 feet to an
>existing line.

Consider copper.  Flexible copper tubing of either K or L grade, I think.  Any
solder work needs to be silver (hard) solder.  Easier is mechanical fittings,
which need to be flare fittings, not compression fittings.

I have a combination of black pipe, brass fittings and flexible copper in my
setup for my shop furnace, and the inspector said it was just fine.

Phil Ethier

///