RE: does 240 = 120 + 120 ?

To: Tim Mullen <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Subject: RE: does 240 = 120 + 120 ?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:10:09 -0800
> Every 240 circuit I've seen has two 120 volt breakers ganged (connected)
> together (i.e. a 30 amp 240 circuit has 2 15 amp 120 breakers) -
> one breaker
> for each (120 volt) leg of the 240 volts circuit.

As required by code.

> Now that said, I don't know that the 20 amp router tripping one of the
> ganged 15 amp breakers would have enough "force" to trip both breakers...

It's certainly supposed to.  The breaker is spring-loaded, it doesn't matter
how much or little current trips it, it always flies off with the same
force.

> I've never tried it...    Hmmmmmm.....    Any volunteers?

I did it once, accidentally bridged one side to ground with some pliers, the
breaker opened both sides (but not before burning a large chunk out of my
needle nose pliers).

Randall

///