Re: does 240 = 120 + 120 ?

To: Tim Mullen <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Subject: Re: does 240 = 120 + 120 ?
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@khoral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:52:54 -0700 (MST)
On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Tim Mullen wrote:

> Every 240 circuit I've seen has two 120 volt breakers ganged (connected)
> together (i.e. a 30 amp 240 circuit has 2 15 amp 120 breakers) - one breaker
> for each (120 volt) leg of the 240 volts circuit.
>
> Now that said, I don't know that the 20 amp router tripping one of the
> ganged 15 amp breakers would have enough "force" to trip both breakers...
>
> I've never tried it...    Hmmmmmm.....    Any volunteers?

OK, the "right" way to do this is to take the wire that currently goes to
your 240 outlet and run it into a new subpanel.  In that subpanel you can
put a new 30 amp ganged breaker for your 240 and two 15 amp breakers for
your two new 120 circuits.  The whole subpanel is still protected by the
30 amp breaker in your main panel so you can only use 30 amps from the
subpanel, but that should be fine, just don't use too much at once or the
30 amp breaker in your main panel will trip.

--
Kevin Sullivan             kevins@khoral.com
Khoral Research Inc.

1968 Dodge W-200 Crewcab "PW"    www.khoral.com/staff/kevins/dodge