RE: building a shop - radiant heat

To: "Madurski, Ronald M." <RONALD.M.MADURSKI@saic.com>
Subject: RE: building a shop - radiant heat
From: "Kim Knapp" <kimknapp@vail.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:08:59 -0600
I think there are two problems with this. One, the slab will be blocked from
an external radiant source by a car, equipment, etc, causing it to pick up
very little heat from the source. Two, the mass of the slab is so great,
that the areas that are heated by radiant heat won't get very warm and will
cool quickly when the room gets up to temp and the heat source cycles off.
With infloor heat the whole slab becomes warm (it IS the radiant source),
which is very nice when you are on your back working under the car. The only
problem (slight) with in floor heat is that, because of the huge heat mass,
temperature changes are slow. In other words, although the slab will start
getting a little warm soon after turning the heat on, the room won't get up
to temperature for a while and, if it is too hot, well, you are out of luck
for an hour or so while the slab cools down. We are bringing the heating
system up in our new house and, initially, we didn't have the thermostats
running so it was going full blast (it just snowed up here last week). Once
I installed the thermostats, one bedroom stayed hot for so long I thought
there was a stuck valve. Under normal operation, where you turn the heat
down from 71 to 68, for example, it isn't quite that bad, but if can take an
hour or so even with low outside temps.

Kim

> Except that where the radiant source is
> located does not
> matter.  If the slab is cold it will warm from any radiant source.

///