Re: Exhaust systems

To: Neil Sherry <sherry@invention-machine.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Exhaust systems
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:32:10 -0700
On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 07:03:27PM +0100, Neil Sherry wrote:

> Thanks, Chris. The SS clamp might be worth a look, although my main concern
> is not being able to separate the sections ever again!! Anybody have any
> idea what
> Wurth's stuff is called?

I use plain old anti-seize.

On motorcycle exausts, it's common to have a slip fitting
that's held together with springs.

You can have a slightly larger tube who's ID is close
to the OD of the standard tubing, allowing it to slip in.
Or, for a better seal, use a double tube joint-
tube 1 is standard, the other end is the next size up
(ID == OD of tube 1 + clearance), and welded to tube 1 is
tube 3, which is slightly larger than tube 2.

Weld small hooks or loops of wire on each tube, two
on each side of the fitting.   Use two springs to
attach.

The advantage of the spring slip fitting is that it allows
a little movement of the pipes.

Eric

///