Re: OK, here is what my 208v really is:

To: "Kim Knapp" <kimknapp@vail.net>, "Shop" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OK, here is what my 208v really is:
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 23:13:57 -0700
Kim Knapp wrote:

> what does the group think about
> running a compressor rated for 230 on 208.

> Efficiency is very important, since up here at 9000'
> we are already down by over 25%.

Kim :

IMO you will have no trouble at all running a compressor rated at 230 on
your 208 service, particularly at that altitude.  The thin air means
that, unless you change the drive ratio on the compressor (which might
be a solution for your Emglo), the motor will not have to work nearly as
hard as it would at sea level.  It _has_ to already have some allowance
for variations in line voltage, so that plus sucking 25% less air per
stroke should more than make up for a 10% drop in line voltage.

Of course, the warranty on the motor won't be worth much, if it should
happen to break for some reason.

Another thought might be to look for a used 208v 3-phase motor and
controller.  They frequently sell cheap, since few people can use them,
and it will draw less current (and weigh less) for the same power
output.  You could either save the original motor for later, or most
likely sell it for quite a bit more than the 3-phase.

Somewhere I've seen a website for some people that will custom-build you
a compressor with whatever specs you want, for a very competitive
price.  Unfortunately, I don't have the link handy.

Randall

///