Re: Coating brass after buffing

To: Lee Daniels <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Subject: Re: Coating brass after buffing
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:41:08 -0500
I've just used to buffing wheel to brighten up a brass fixture and now
want to coat it:

1. What's the best coating for a bathroom environment?
2. Will a spray-on polyurethane work?
3. What about clear powder-coating (I can do that now!)

I've also got two more brass faucets that need to be stripped, buffed
and coated:

1. What's the coating that usually comes on these things, and what's
the best way to remove it?
I plan to use the paint stripping chemicals like Kleen-Strip.

thanks - Lee

Lee,  I've had good success with clear polyurethane after buffing and
cleaning with something like lacquer thinner.

I've used this process on an old floor lamp .. it was painted with 15 coats
of old white enamel.  stripped it with a liquid/gel type paint stripper...
cleaned with soap and water... buffed with a sewn wheel and white
rouge..cleaned with laquer thinner to remove residue and oil from hands...
sprayed several light coats of poly and still looks acceptable after about
5 years...  eventually inevitably brass will turn regardless of the
finish... I think the air leaks in thru the brass from the back side.. :-)

the clear powder coat sounds interesting...  'course you'd have to remove
all the rubber melty stuff from the innards first, give it a try, I'd like
to know how that works also..

john

///