Re: 208v Air Compressors

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 208v Air Compressors
From: Matt <mattmahony@home.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:53:42 -0700
Kim;
I can't tell you anything about the brands you
mentioned, but the electric motor manufacturers in North
America make motors rated at 208/230 volts. That means
they work on just about any supply voltage you're likely
to see in N.America. None of the compressor
manufacturers actually make the motors they use even if
their brand is on it, it's made by one of the big motor
manufacturers.
If you check the motor name plate before you accept
delivery it should be plainly marked as 208/230 or
208/240. Don't sweat the 230/240 thing as long as it's
marked 208/2xx.
NEMA  http://www.nema.org/ has all you want to know.
Old motors in some equipment I've worked on had some
really odd ratings; I would be very surprised to see a
new electric motor that was rated only at 208v but they
used to exist.
Cheers

--
Matt Mahoney