A copy of the letter

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: A copy of the letter
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 13:18:35 -0400
Here is a copy of the letter I sent to HGTV on the feedback for their show
"Extreme Garages."  (ok, I REALLY am passionate about garages!) 8>)

------
This past weekend, HGTV did a show called "Extreme Garages."  While I don't
normally watch HGTV, I felt that this was a show I shouldn't miss.  I set
the Replay TV to record it in hope to catch some great garages.  I must
say, I felt the show was a TOTAL disappointment.

I am a person who LIVES in my garage. I moved out of my last house because
the 2 floor, 2400 sqft garage was WAY to small.  At my current house, I
have a 3000sqft garage that I am temporarily using until I finish
construction on my new 4000 sqft garage. But, contrary to what was
displayed in your show, all my garages are WORKING garages.  The garages
can handle everything from wood working, to metal working, to vehicle and
tractor restoration and maintenance.  Oh yeah, and every thing is built on
REAL budgets.  I'm not just some rich old man throwing 100's of thousands
of dollars at people to build everything for me.  I'm the one doing most of
the work (both on the garages, and cars.)  When completed, my garages have
everything from automated lighting, car lifts, Internet terminals, dust
collection, temporary dividers for sand blasting and painting, and tons of
hidden features that make them work smarter.  (This was the kind of content
I was hoping for in your program)

While most "garages" on your show were nice, they were not Garages (note
the capitol "G").  They were just well decorated warehouses for awesome car
collections.  NOT ONE of the garages was suitable for turning a wrench on a
car.

Hopefully, maybe you will do another special on WORKING garages.  I want to
see creative ideas on how to use space more effectively, work more
efficiently, cost saving ideas, etc.  Not just a series of rich bozos that
paid $100,000's to architects and contractors to build them a space to park
cars in.

Please don't think that I didn't come away from the show with only negative
feedback.  I was very overwhelmed with the car collections in most of the
segments.   It's just that I think the show was billed incorrectly.  It
should have been with more of a focus on "Interior design for rooms that
people park cars in."

I am also a member of an international Internet mailing group specially
designed for talking about "all things garage related""  I'm forwarding a
copy of this email to them as well.

Thank you for your time.  Please feel free to contact me at my email
address Real_Extreme_Garages@megageek.com if you have any questions about
my feedback.

Sincerely,

Eric Petrevich (who doesn't work in garage professionally, it's just my
passion)

///