Re: newsletter stuff

To: JNiolon@uss.com
Subject: Re: newsletter stuff
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:21:30 -0400
Well here is a 2 part article on garage security that I wrote years ago.
(I may have already posted it here.)  I'm posting it to the Shop talk list
as well in case I haven't.  Feel free to edit this in any way he feels fit.
It was written for m/c lists but it can applied to cars as well. It's a
little choppy, because it's been "evolving" since I originally wrote it.
Just make sure he includes my name "Inch" and my email address
"shoptalk@megageek.com" in the articles so anyone that wants to point
things out to me can.

Also note, there are archives from this list on my web site.  It's just a
"best of" list. It's at...

http://megageek.com/shop/shop.nsf/2e633dae2dafbe53852566b2000d43bd?OpenView

(or you can go to http://megageek.com and see the WTC tribute and letter I
wrote first)

I would say that he should get the original authors permission first (any
of the things I put there he can use as long as he includes my name and
address as per above).

Inch

First off, what people don't see, they don't steel.  It's that simple.
Keeping you doors shut and curtains over the windows will do alot in
preventing thief.  I recommend replacing garage windows with Glass Block.
It lets light in, but you can't see through it and it's a pain to break.

If you live on a busy street, leave your garage door open ONLY as long as
you need it.  Someone passing by may see something it there and come back
later for it.

Steel doors are worth the extra cost.  Steel garage doors are GREAT.  When
you install them, put the panel with the windows on the TOP (not second to
the top)  This prevents people from seeing in as easy.  Also, either
lightly sandblast the windows or get a frosting covering for them.

Add a really loud siren INSIDE the shop in addition to the one on the
outside.  If you break in and can't hear anything but loud noise, you won't
hang around.  You can't hear your accomplice, the police or yourself think.

When using a chain to lock up something try to keep the chain as high as
possible. Reasoning behind this thought is to make it harder to cut the
chain with bolt cutters.  Most chained bikes I see have the chain lazily
laying on the ground which allows one end of the bolt cutters to be placed
on the ground for leverage.  Also, you want the chain as short as possible,
you don't want them to have the ability to move the chain where they need
it.

On my old softail the dash mounted ignition switch was so hokey I never
locked it.  I put a DPDT toggle switch between the switch and the coil.
The other terminal I wired directly into the horn so that if the ignition
switch was turned on while the toggle was in the #2 position, the horn
immediately sounded.  This also helps keep the idiots off of your scoot who
want to see how it feels to sit on (play on) one. Does scare the living
hell out of you when you forget that you flipped the switch though.

On my roll up garage doors....when I take the truck for a long (overnight)
trip, I put padlocks in the door frame to keep it from opening more than
about 6".

Also, you may want to cut or remove the rope for the Garage door openers
bypass.  Most of the time, this rope hangs down right in front of the
windows.  All you need to do break the window and pull the rope to open the
garage door.

Make a place to anchor your bike, car, or tool rollout.  A better anchor
for a floor- dig a hole in the floor about 2'x2'x2'.  Then get some PVC
pipe (about 2.5" id) and make a "U" shape with the pipe fittings
(2-90degree bends and some straight sections.  Place the "u" in the hole
and fill with concrete. Make sure the tops of the "u" are flush with the
top of the new floor. Now, just run your cobra link (or any kind of chain)
in the hole and out the other side and chain to it.  Best part, when you
aren't using it there is nothing sticking out of the floor.  Works outside
also (just make sure you drain the "u" bottom.)

Another security method is to remove any keys you store outside.  Even if
hidden, once someone sees you use it, they know where it is.  If you NEED a
key outside, they have combo lock boxes that would be better.
Note, I have replaced all the locks in my house with combo locks (like the
ones for the kitchen in Burger King)   These aren't cheap, but they allow
for keyless entry (which is good if someone steals you keychain (purse or
car with keys in it))

Also, putting pricker bushes (Fire bushes) or mesquite bushes in front of
windows will REALLY make it hurt if they try getting to them.

When I stay at a motel (usually a cheap one) I locate the concrete and
steel staircase leading up to the second floor and park the bike underneath
those steps.  It's out of the way of parking lot cruisers and affords a
sturdy I-beam to wrap the chain around.  Can be a pain in the ass to get
under the
steps (hit head repeatedly), but I always sleep better.

                    JNiolon@uss.com

                    Sent by:                    To:
shop-talk@autox.team.net
                    shop-talk-owner@auto        cc:     EYates@uss.com

                    x.team.net                  Subject:     newsletter stuff

                    09/28/2001 02:14 PM

                    Please respond to

                    JNiolon

OK group,

I've got a very good friend who belongs to a LBC (little British car) club.
He must have made someone mad for now he is the keeper/publisher of the
club newsletter..  (that will teach him).   He's about 8 months into it and
is running dry for ideas for articles.  The membership is of little to no
help and I've given him everything I've written or read in the past year.

I'm sure this assemblage of knowledge could offer some
suggestions/articles/ideas for his letter.  It's LBC oriented but anything
tool or shop or technique (automotive preferred) related would be welcomed.
I've given him my article on brakes lines and driveshaft phasing....   and
about every humorous thing I can find for filler....

anyone care to donate some useable reading fodder ???

I'm sure Ed would be most grateful...

tia

john

///