Re: Grade 8 vrs 5 confusion

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <JNiolon@uss.com>
Subject: Re: Grade 8 vrs 5 confusion
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 06:43:46 -0400
As I sit here typing early in the morning, I'm going to do what appears to be
wimping out.  I'm not going to suggest anything specific because I'm not
confident of my answer, and the results of a mistake in this case could be
quite severe.  But what I will do is tell you where I'd go looking for an
answer.  And that would be to my Carroll Smith book about automotive
fasteners (don't remember the exact title).  It's in the bookstores in the
automotive section.  Whatever his answer would be, that would be
my answer.

>>> <JNiolon@uss.com> 09/25 1:03 PM >>>

O.K. ???

now I'm more confused than ever...  so I'll ask for a recommendation for a
specific application

I have a Ford 9" rear end connected to the frame of my truck with ladder
bars (3 points of mounting)  Considering the type load the suspension will
put on these bolts (shear, I would assume ?)  what is the best type bolt to
use.  I currently have grade 8 3/4" bolts and lock nuts in place but
haven't put the truck on the road yet...

recommendations, Jon ??...  Nolan ???   anyone who knows more than me ???

///