Re: Moving Fuel Oil

To: JGN <jgn@li.net>
Subject: Re: Moving Fuel Oil
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 18:01:47 -0400
I just returned from vacation and am catching up on Email. I didn't see any
replies, so I will give it a shot:

I would use the garden hose. But I would use a very cheap hose, as the fuel oil
will probably make it worthless for much of anything else. I certainly wouldn't
drink from it later. I suppose you could try to clean it out, but you might
want
to just save it for other nasty jobs (like pumping out the flooded basement,
securing young trees, etc.).

I don't think you have to worry about static buildup, as I assume that both
tanks are sitting on the ground. The static problems comes when either the
delivery tank or the receiving tank is insulated from the ground (as in
delivery
truck, airplane, etc.).

Mike

JGN wrote:

> I need to transfer a couple of hundred gallons of fuel oil about 100 feet
> from one tank to another.  The elevations work out so a gravity transfer
> will work out.
>
> Can I use garden hose?  (This is a one-time event.)  IOW, is there any
> danger of static build-up when tranferring fuel oil, as there is for more
> volatile liquids?
>
> John

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://home.att.net/~msloane>
<http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=204428>

One's age should be tranquil, as childhood should be playful. Hard work at
either extremity of life seems out of place. At midday the sun may burn,
and men labor under it; but the morning and evening should be alike calm
and cheerful. -Thomas Arnold, educator (1795-1842)

///