Re: Paint Sprayers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint Sprayers
From: sdillen@telus.net
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:20:11 PST
I use a cheapo automotive type sprayer when I paint my fence.  I spray that
latex stain that is about the same consistency as any other house paint without
thinning.  I just bump the pressure up a bit and open up the gun all the way.
 .no problem.  I figure I probably don't get as much paint on the surface
as I would if I brushed. . .but then again I'm much more likely to paint the
fence again the following year since it only takes a couple of hours.  So,
as far as protection is concerned, it's probably a wash. . .

Come to think of it, it seems that this topic came up on this list a few years
ago. . .at that time I had also used that gun to spray latex on baseboard
moldings.
 .  I obtained a perfectly good finish out of it without thinning.  For any
of this thick paint, I use the internal mix cap (I think that's what it's called
-- it's the kind that has a half-moon slit and no air outlets outside of the
nozzle of the gun) instead of the normal one that you use for enamel or
whatever.
 .

Steve Dillen