Re: PVC for air lines (was: Setting up air lines in the shop)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PVC for air lines (was: Setting up air lines in the shop)
From: BSHolden@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:05:02 EDT
> A few years ago, I visited an automotive paint shop that plumbed all their
> air
>  lines in copper.  I always believed that steel pipe was the best way to go
>  considering strength and the radiation cooling effect of the steel, but
this
>  setup with the copper intrigued me.  While probably more expensive for a
> given
>  amount of line, installation would be much easier to customize with
soldered
>  fittings, and there would be no rust issues.
-------------------------------
Plumbed my shop with 3/4" rigid copper pipe about 5 years ago, taking into
consideration condensation issues (installing a drain valve and trap at the
beginning of the run as well as the lowest point, and using a "riser" of the
main pipe for each outlet).
My tank-type compressor puffs to 175psi, so I use a regulator to restrict
pipe pressure to 125psi for my installation. To address compressor to pipe
vibration issues I ran a short (~30") of pre-made HD hydraulic hose as found
in most tractor supply stores.
And I used the thick wall type pipe. Type M/red label as I recall.

So far so good.

Bart Holden

///