Enclosed Trailers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Enclosed Trailers
From: "Rex Burkheimer - WM" <rex@txol.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:18:26 -0500
> I want an enclosed trailer to:
> (1) help move 35 years of "stuff" 200 miles to West By God Virginia,

Geez, is this a Life Change or what?

> Question is can my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV with AT handle the load?  I
> suspect that an ATF cooler will be required.  Anything else?

No sweat, depending on what you load it with. I pull a 18-ft enclosed
trailer with 2500# car and spares, tools etc with an older V6 Astro.   It's
barely adequate. I suspect you have more than 150 HP though.  Now, If you
load the lathe, the mill, a few extra longblocks etc, then hit thos WV
hills, you may have a bit of a struggle.   But I bet it will work.

> Does the list have any cautions/comments/ideas?

Consider trailer brakes. If you were towing across Kansas, it's optional
(IMO).
Add hills and especially rain and they become mandatory.  On a 14-ft trailer
they are probably not standard.

> BTW, how come you never see any used enclosed trailers for sale?

they last forever. Only reason to sell one is if you quit racing or decide
you need a bigger size. Speaking of which, I would consider going up to a
16-ft ramp-door at least.  It will hold more, it will resale better, and it
will accomodate  other vehicles besides the spridget.

YMMV

///