Re: Alternative Style Garage Doors

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternative Style Garage Doors
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:03:10 -0700 (PDT)
I was here a year ago and ended up making my own. It
was pretty easy and cheap. The commercial stuff was
neither readily available, appropriate, nor cheap.
I bought 1x3" steel thinwall tubing, welded up a
simple frame with a cross bar and diagonal, welded 6"
hinges every 3', then hung the bare frames as if they
were wooden gates. Then I put 3" building foam board
into the frame and screwed a thin piece of siding to
the outside and a piece of markerboard [1/8" masonite
with a white plastic "blackboard" finish] to the
inside. Self driving truss screws worked fine. A cane
bolt to the floor, a spring latch on top, and a gate
handle on the inside completes the door. I need to
screw some garage door weather stripping to the bottom
and center to seal the things up for winter, there is
about a 1/2" gap now. All for maybe less than $100
each. I made three sets in two heights so my costs are
not very accurate. They match the building, took only
a few days more than installing almost right premade
stuff, and have huge blackboard surfaces to "organize"
myself on. 8-)

=====
Dennis Hale
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/