Re: thoughts on oil for pressure washer

To: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: thoughts on oil for pressure washer
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:22:47 -0700
Rush wrote:

- snip -

> So, the rule of thumb I was given for small engines is:
> No disposable filter - 30 weight, low detergent only
> Disposable filter - just about any automotive engine oil will work

Hi Jon,

Yes, that was pretty much the thought I have held -- you
do not want detergents in the oil as they suspend the
particles, and without a filter, this is a bad idea.

But I was looking at the Tecumseh manual for the pressure
washer and they say:

"Use a clean, high quality detergent oil of API service
SJ-SF."

>From my reading of the SJ specs, they pretty much are the
same for single grade or multi-grade oils.

They also say to use 5W30 oil in the winter, but in summer
they say to avoid using multi-viscosity oils as:

"Using multigrade oil will increase oil consumption"

I am going to try the synthetic 20W50 for awhile.  I'm
sure it could be psychological, or perhaps because the old
oil was shot, but the pressure washer certainly seemed to
hold it's RPM level much more consistently today
regardless of load with the synthetic oil (before when I
did a broad pattern at full throttle, it would slow down a
bit, but now it just briefly pulses and returns to the
original RPM).

Again, it just seems to run stronger now, but the old oil
was about a year old, not a lot of hours, but it had been
in there for awhile.

I sent email to Tecumseh asking them about this, and I
will forward anything I hear.

doug

///