Re: Trailer wiring

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <RONALD.M.MADURSKI@saic.com>
Subject: Re: Trailer wiring
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:30:32 -0400
"Madurski, Ronald M." <RONALD.M.MADURSKI@saic.com> wrote:

> I am having some trouble with the wiring on my trailer and was hoping for
> some pointers on where to look.  The whole trailer was recently rewired with
> new wires.
> <...>
> Any suggestions?  Sound like a bad ground somewhere?

Sounds like bad grounds to me.  Bad grounds can cause very strange things to
happen...

Do you have a dedicated wire for the ground in the wiring connection between
the trailer and truck/car?  Many wiring harnesses do not have a ground wire as
part of the harness.  Many people try to use the hitch/ball as the ground path,
and my experience is that it is never a good idea.  Additionally, ensure that
the lights
are each well grounded to the metal frame of the trailer - I know of one person
that
had difficulty until he figured out that the wood sides that the lights were
attached to
did not carry the ground well.  8-)

Tim Mullen

///