Re: Tire wear patterns

To: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Tire wear patterns
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:33:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Peter Schauss wrote:

> Both my MGB and Austin-Healey (BJ7) are showing the same tire wear pattern.
> On the left fron tire the outer edge of the tread is almost smooth.  This
> wear pattern decreases gradually over distance of about 2" as you go toward
> the center of the tire.  The right fronts on both cars are fine.  The tires
> on the MG are about 9 years old and have more than 45k miles on them.  The
> tires on the Healey are at least seven years old and have about 32k miles.
>
> Obviously I need to replace the offending tires (the MG should probably get
> a complete set, given the age of the rubber).  My concern here, however, is
> do I have an alignment problem here or is this wear pattern normal for the
> age and mileage on the tires?  The only adjustment on these cars is for toe
> in
> which I would expect to cause a problem on both front tires.

peter,

my '68 mustang had outer-edge wear on the tires, but it was both fronts
(worn suspension).  just one tire, dunno, bad/misadjusted parts on only
that side?  both cars is strange, but could happen I guess.  anyhow, after
you look at adjustable parts, be sure to make sure nothing is just broke
or the ball joints, etc. aren't worn so badly they're the problem.  this
includes the steering setup as well--mine needed parts there as well that
caused a smaller problem with tire wear.

or--just thought of this--I heard of a spitfire (I think, might have been
an mg) once that sagged on the driver's side 'cause the springs had worn
from the weight of the driver over 35+ years.  might be worth checking.

scott

///