Re: Pressured or not ?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pressured or not ?
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:57:23 -0700
Mike Rambour wrote:

>    I have finally after several months of looking purchased my new air
> compressor and it arrived today.  One of the things I noticed on the tank
> drain is it says never open it with more than 25 psi in the tank.  My friend

Mike,

I am certain that was added for the benefit of the legal
department (potential litigation if opened and it blew dirt into
their eyes or something). Although your new compressor should
re-pressurize much faster than the old single stage, I would not
change my drain habits one bit.

>    Also, he says because it is 175 psi, it is not safe to leave pressurized
> when not using it.  I can't believe that, it is ASME tank and I like my

I don't buy this, either.  The tank is ASME and it probably is
safe for 250 psi @ 450 degrees F. The 50 psi difference between
125 and 175 should be insignificant.  If your friend comes around
and you don't want to affront him, you could just bleed the tank
down to 125 psi and let it stand there.  :)

Seriously, I believe you should let the auto drain do its thing
as it is designed, and I also would leave the tank pressurized.
I certainly would not empty the tank to drain it -- it is just a
waste of electricity pressurizing the tank just to blow it off.

IMHO,

doug

///