Re: OT: Pergo flooring

To: epetrevich@relavis.com
Subject: Re: OT: Pergo flooring
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:47:49 -0400
epetrevich@relavis.com wrote:

> Rex,  It was my understanding that the standard units, while having a
> tongue and groove edge, did NOT provide enough of a pressure fit to prevent
> water and moisture from getting under the floor (and above the vapor
> barrier) without glue.  I may be wrong (happens often enough!)  or maybe it
> was just one of the styles I was looking at.

You are correct. Without well glued joints, a Pergo floor is not
waterproof and any water that sits on the floor will seep through and
destroy it. You also have to very carefully seal all the edges at the
wall if there is a chance than an appliance or sink might leak.

> So the only types that will float are the ones that have a positive
> interlocking edge?

Interlocking or non interlocking tongue and groove with glue will float.
You have to form a contious membrane to allow a floor to float.

Jon

///