Re: building a garage

To: "Rex Burkheimer - WM" <rex@txol.net>
Subject: Re: building a garage
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:27:30 -0400
Rex, This seems like it may be a simple job.
First off, make sure you have a good cement slab.  it may only be a thin
slab.  Once you add walls and such, it could break up.

Subbing out the foundation work is a must if you do not know what you are
doing.  Every other part of a building can be repaired or replaced if need
be.  The foundation can not.

Next, subbing out the walls would be a mistake.  Walls (especially 2X
construction)  is REAL easy.  You just need a little help with it if you
are making big sections.

Contact your local metal frame builders (We have one on this list, but I
don't know if he handles them)  They have metal subframes with wood
exteriors to match your house.  This would be an easy way to handle this.
(they come with instructions that are very easy)

Pitfalls...

PLAN YOUR WORK.  Do you want to heat the space?  If so, radiant floor is
easy to install up front, but near impossible afterwards.

Also, plan your size.  If you want to expand later, make sure you take that
into your initial plans.

Inch

                    "Rex Burkheimer -

                    WM" <rex@txol.net>          To:     "shop-talk"
<shop-talk@autox.team.net>
                    Sent by:                    cc:

                    shop-talk-owner@auto        Subject:     building a garage

                    x.team.net

                    06/26/01 12:13 PM

                    Please respond to

                    "Rex Burkheimer -

                    WM"

We are about to buy a house with no garage (which goes against my basic
instincts).
So Job 1 will be "Add garage.
It currently has a 2-car carport on a slightly oversize concrete pad.  I
wish to extend the pad to accommodate a 4-car garage.

I have never so much as added an interior wall, but I am toying with the
idea of building this myself.
It would be regular 2x4 framing, pitched roof with purchased trusses. I
would have a door company do the 2 rollup doors.  There would be a single
personal door plus windows on the back wall.
How would you rate this as a beginner's project?
Any pitfalls to avoid?
Suggested alternate construction?  I would do metal pre-fab except I want
it
to match the house.
I like Cinder block, but trying to build a wall with blocks and mortar
scares the heck out of me.
Anywhere I can get ready-made plans and perhaps step-by-step instructions?
Can one buy walls pre-built to my specs?
What parts should I sub out?

any suggestions much appreciated.

///