Re: Carburetor cleaner

To: w.gilroy@verizon.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carburetor cleaner
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:02:35 EDT
In a message dated 6/6/01 10:10:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w.gilroy@verizon.net writes:

> Many moons ago, when I was a kid, you could buy a gallon can of
> carburetor cleaner.  The stuff had a wire basket in the can you
> dropped all the parts into the basket in then into the cleaner.  It
> would come out clean.
>
> Can you still get this stuff?  If so where? If not, what is a good
> replacement.  I need to clean an a really old and gunky carburetor
> that is on an old lawn mower.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Still available.  I got one at Pep Boys.  It is no longer a gallon can,
though.  Corporate downsizing affects everything.  You now get about a quart
of cleaner in a half gallon can.

You can probably clean a lawn mower carb with a spray can of carb cleaner.  I
use Hogwash brand, but Gumout works pretty well also.  Gumout also comes in
pour cans so you can make your own carb dip.

Good luck, Bill.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget