Re: Personal responsibility (was Re: warning - explosive metal

To: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: Re: Personal responsibility (was Re: warning - explosive metal
From: David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 00:39:37 -0500 (CDT)
On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Randall Young wrote:

:
:Michael :
:
:You're right, Rex didn't say it happened to him.  My bad.
:
:But let me ask you this : do you pick up the user's manual and read it every
:time you use a tool ?  If not, what difference does it make whether you
:forget what's in the user's manual, or what was in the basic course in shop
:practice ?  Do you even know where the user's manual for your grinder is ???
:(I don't)

I know where mine is:  with the original owner, as it came from a pawn shop.

:
:Yes, I know that thermite is made from aluminum and iron, although the
:description that Rex posted sounds nothing like a thermite fire to me.
:Setting it off with hot sparks has to be fluke, it's usually tough to light
:(burning magnesium is one way).  But any course on metalworking should tell
:you that aluminum will burn, clean up your aluminum chips.

Plain Al dust is explosive.  I suspect this is what went Boom! in the posted
story, the fact that is was hot iron that caused the explosion is
incidental.   I very distinctly remeber a chemistry class demonstation of an
Al dust fire.  That was done with very fine dust and a richer oxygen
environment than normal.  It was still quite impressive:  a couple pinches
of Al dust caused a 3 foot fireball.

:
:And if I injure myself through carelessness or ignorance (or a Darwinian
:moment, whatever that may be), I'll take responsibility for it, not blame
:someone else because "they should've told me".  I never planned on living
:forever, anyway.

Indeed, but it seems that far too many people don't believe this anymore.

--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.

///