RE: warning - explosive metal dust

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: warning - explosive metal dust
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 18:51:59 -0700
Rex Burkheimer - WM wrote :

> Interestingly there is no warning of this possible occurrence in
> the safety
> section of the manufacture's owner's manual.

Rex :

I'm sorry to hear you got hurt.  Truly, it could have been much worse,
thermite is nasty stuff.

But, IMO it is completely unreasonable to expect the tool mfgr to think of
every d*mn fool way someone could mis-use their tool, and have to warn
against it !

I'm reasonably confident they _did_ say something to the effect of "only
competent people should use this tool", and part of being a competent tool
user is understanding appropriate safety measures !  That simple statement
should go without saying !

Reminds me of a local news story a few years back : some teenager broke into
a city streetlamp post, and tried to cut the wires with dikes (so he could
see the 4th of July fireworks better).  Unfortunately, he picked one that
ran on 440 volts, and did not survive the lesson.  Lots of folks clamored to
put 'Danger High Voltage' signs on every streetlamp ...

Randall

///
///