Re: Concrete Mixers

To: "Martin Scarr" <martins@efn.org>, "BOB NOGUEIRA"
Subject: Re: Concrete Mixers
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:26:23 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Scarr <martins@efn.org>
To: BOB NOGUEIRA <nogera@Prodigy.Net>
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 10:14 PM

>On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, BOB  NOGUEIRA wrote:
>
>> Okay folks, my wife came up  with what she thinks is a great idea, she
wants
>> to buy one of those small batch concrete mixers. We have several projects
>> planned that evolve concrete ( walkways, flower bed edges, dog run ) but
>> having never used one, I'm not really sure as to how well they work.
>> Is it feasible to pour a 3foot by 30 foot walk way using a mixer?  Cost
wise
>> how does it compare to Ready mix or
>> a bag of quickcrete?

>A 3 foot by 30 foot walkway, 3 inches thick is approximately 22.5 cubic
>feet, or .833 cubic yards.  For 22.5 cubic feet of concrete it takes 34
>ninety pound bags of Ready Mix bagged concrete (90 pounds is .66 cubic
>feet).  How much is a 90 pound bag of Ready Mix in your area?  It's almost
>$3 here in Western Oregon.  That's about $100 for less than a yard of
>concrete, and you have to haul all that Ready Mix home.  I can get a yard
>of concrete delivered for $100, and I live outside the city limits.

I found it difficult to get only a yard delivered, and our walk next to the
garage/shop extension would be a nasty little wheelbarrow trip.  I bought 69
60-pound bags of sackcrete for a sidewalk job.  I rented the
(made-in-England!) electric mixer from Home Depot for about 30 bucks.  I
carried and mixed (60 is my limit.  90-pound bags would be out of the
question for me.  Hell, I wish they came in 30!) all the crete and poured it
directly from the mixer.  No wheelbarrow transfer needed.   The mixer has
handy wheels so I could pull it back to load and mix, then roll forward to
pour.  Mixer worked best with 2 bags in it.  Sue did all the finishing work.
The day before, I had excavated and boxed out the panels with cedar 2x4s.
The idea is to leave the cedar forms in place permanently.  When done
carefully, the lawn restoration is zero.

I had tested this brand of sackcrete ahead of time to see how it would work
for exposed-aggregate finishing.  It is not a perfect match for our
existing, but it works as a transition from the smooth driveway to the
exposed-aggregate in the back yard.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.

///
///