Re: modern paint, old car

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: modern paint, old car
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:46:45 -0800
At 03:49 PM 2/28/2001 -0500, Jim Juhas wrote:

>I bought a HobbyAir system from Eastwood a few years ago.  There are
>additional
>considerations beyond comparing its price to that of having a car
>refinished.  The

   I agree about the HobbyAir, I bought mine 3 years ago for the purpose of
being able to paint primers and the like in the garage (eventually the
whole car) .  Well that didn't work out because it is a attached garage and
the entire house got the fumes, so I bought the Eastwood powder coating kit
and LOVE it.   Anyway, I now use the HobbyAir a lot for woodworking to keep
the sawdust out of my asthmatic lungs and just about anytime something
stinks.  It gets used quite a bit.

   On the subject of paint...just today I got my issue of AutoRestorer and
there is Part 1 of a "New Paint System", in part 1 he talks about
primers/etc and how they don't have isocyanates in them.  He does not say
anything about the paint as far as to how nasty it is (we have to wait for
Part 3)  but he does say and I quote "designed to dry to the touch in about
four hours without the aid of a baking booth or heat lamps.  That was what
really made me sit up and pay attention.  After all, very few restorers
have access to heated spray booths and controlled environments in which to
spray."    (Quoted part is probably copyrighted by Larry Liles or
AutoRestorer or both)  That last sentence of his quote would imply that he
is directing this article to the home/hobby restorer and I assume that
means we can spray with standard filters.  Yes, I know what happens when
someone "assumes" something but I am hopeful in this case that I can wear
my HobbyAir and paint the car without my wife and daughter and dog dying in
the house.  No I will not test it on them, I will research this a lot more
prior to painting.

  If this does not do it...its back to plain old catalized enamel...

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/