RE: modern paint, old car

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: modern paint, old car
From: "PHINNEY,HARRY K (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <harry_phinney@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:07:48 -0800
Trevor Boicey wrote:
>   Realistically, without spending a small fortune on breathing
> machines, that's the only viable DIY choice. Anything other
> than that or lacquer uses isocyanates.

Isocyanates are a very real health concern, and should not be taken lightly.
My understanding is that normal activated charcoal respirators will filter
out isocyanates, but such respirators are not NIOSH approved for such use
due to the lack of warning signs when the filter gets loaded. A person will
smell solvent fumes before they're concentrated enough to do harm, but you
won't smell isocyanates before they do physical damage.

>   If you price out the proper safety gear, it might be
> cheaper to pay for the final spray than to buy it all
> to do one or maybe even two cars.

Maybe. A Hobbyair 2T (80ft hose w/full Tyvek hood) costs $452.00 from
autobodystore.com.

Harry Phinney

///
///