Re: Driveway surface

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Driveway surface
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 14:06:51 -0600
Bob wrote:

> I need to surface a driveway  going to a car storage building that I am
> planning to build this spring. Concrete is out of  my budget range and
> asphalt is very uncommon for residential use in Texas ( WHY?).

Donno about your part of Texas but here in the north-of-Dallas area, asphalt
streets are the norm and drives are fairly common.  The problem, when I made
a comparison, is that a properly constructed asphalt drive with a good base
costs nearly as much as a concrete drive, has a much shorter life and has to
be maintained.

> My experience with  pea gravel is that it moves around too much when a
> car  drives over it .

There are "gravels" which are pretty stable . . . have the characteristic of
"setting-up",
a rock hauler I used once called a local limestone product "chat & dust".  I
used it to backfill around a commercial building and it did solidify after a
few soakings.   It IS dusty when subjected to traffic while dry.

> I remember a thread here about using  a concrete mix without the need for
> reinforcement. Anyone got details on that system?

Coincidentally, I just received an "American Concrete Institute" catalog
sent me by George Dausch IV.  In it is listed "State of the Art Report on
Soil Cement".  This is the method by which cement is rototilled into
existing soil to form a paving or flooring structure . . There are rules
about how much cement per cubic yard of soil depending on the soil type,
etc.  They used in Nam to build runways I understand.  I haven't ordered the
report but I note that it is available online for $19.50 from
http://www.aci-int.org  .    A local did a hanger floor in this method years
ago successfully but he had to seal the surface to retard dust.  I think he
used boiled linseed oil for sealant.
Cheers,
Tony_______________________@Sherman.Texas

///