Re: Driveway surface

To: robert c Nogueira <nogera@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Driveway surface
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 10:19:02 -0800
Mike Sloane wrote:

> robert c Nogueira wrote:
>
> > asphalt is very uncommon for residential use in Texas ( WHY?).
> If you mean "bituminous concrete" - the black tar stuff, I have a good idea
>why
> it is not used in Texas - when the sun beats down on it in 110 degree weather,
> it turns very soft and oozes oil. It is OK for us Yankees but not for the
> semi-tropics.

Asphalt either isn't the same stuff, or there are different grades of it
for different climates.  Asphalt (mixed with gravel) is used as a road
surface in the desert states (including Texas and SoCA), but it has to
be laid very hot, which requires special equipment.  My guess would be
that the cost and logistics of asphalt laying equipment, plus the
shorter service life, make concrete more attractive for driveways and
such.

Randall

///
///