Re: Sort of off topic. . .puzzles

To: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Subject: Re: Sort of off topic. . .puzzles
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:14:43 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing wrote:

> >Attach both ends of 1 string to one end of another.  (so you get a loop at
> >the end of the first string)
> >
> >Light the other end of the string.  The first string burns in 30 mins, and
> >lights both ends of the other
> >string.  In 15 mins the other string has burned completely up.
> >
> >Total time: 45 mins.
>
> I don't think that works; you're making the assumption that the "hoop" of
>string
> burns evenly, and we're told that it doesn't.  One end might burn up in a
>minute,
> while the other takes 29 minutes...  I like the other answer of waiting until
>time
> is up, and then lighting the string... =8^)

even if it burns faster, slower, *really*fast*, slow, etc., it'll work.
imagine there's a fast end that burns instantly and it's 99% of the
string.  that 99% burns instantly (pretend 0 seconds). now the 1% left has
to burn in 30 minutes, and it's burning at both ends, so it'll burn in
half the amount of time.  now just extrapolate this onto the whole string
with fast and slow sections.

scott

///
///